Monday, September 1, 2014

Thought for The Day - Knowing Self



My newest hobby: freshwater aquariums. Growing up, I would see them in the store - back then, nearly every major department store carried a selection of goldfish and "one-offs." As long as my mom would allow, I would stand in front of the tanks, listening to the water filtering in and out and watching the fish. At 15, I got my first aquarium; a ten gallon aquarium that I cleaned faithfully for the next three years or so. Filled it with black Mollies and gold Platys and a bunch of snails. But this year, on my birthday, my wife bought a huge 37 gallon aquarium! It was all I had not to go out the same day and fill it with fish! Since that time, I have filled it and will add more as the tank matures.

My wife's one thing: I don't have many colorful fish in it. She's right, but the pet stores of today are "extremely helpful" - the good one's anyway. They made suggestions for 'starter' fish, creatures that are hardy and can tolerate fluctuations in temperature and chemicals naturally produced in our unstable industrialized water supply. They happen to be plain and small. Again, it was all I had not to populate the tank quickly, but that being said, I ignored advice from the sales reps in the store and good friends at work who also have or had aquariums. Angel fish had to make it in the tank and so far, they get along well with the rest of the community.

I'm sitting in my space at the moment, staring at my "third" tank. I wanted a smaller aquarium for my space, to look at while painting and writing. Tranquil, peaceful and lively... I filled it with fish that are as just as unappealing as the larger tank, but fish that love to be in schools of 6 or more. There movement as a group is beautiful and relaxing...

Some of my coworkers and others I've talked with spoke of their aquariums. The fish they've had are far more appealing. Beautiful colorful fish, but aggressive and in some cases predatory. The type of fish you feed with smaller fish! Mind you, I want colorful fish, but not predatory fish. And the one thing each person that had these fish said: "circle of life." meaning you see bigger fish eat smaller fish. Nope, not me. Community, unity, one place, like the world I desire...

My music preferences:

  • Relaxing
  • Romantic
  • Soft
  • Truthful
  • Inspiring
  • Thought-provoking
My book preferences:
  • Educational
  • Informative
  • When violent, with a purpose
  • Historical
  • Romantic
My Desired World:
  • Thoughtful
  • Community - other minded
  • Unified
  • Peaceful
  • Nurturing
  • Growing

No comments:

Post a Comment