Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thought for The Day - Pre-Dawn Light


...Catching the worm.

It's 5:00 am. Years ago, living with my parents, occasionally, I would wake early enough to see my father before he left for work. He had a routine: get up at 5:00, shower, get dressed, read the bible, eat a little breakfast and be out the door by 5:30. I thought that was early, way too early for me. I worked at the factory where he was a manager, one summer, which meant I had to get up a few minutes after he did. I remember thinking it was okay, at first, and by the end of the summer, I couldn't wait to get up at my normal time.

I'm past my father's age, when I worked with him that summer. And I rise much earlier than he did. I'm out the door at 5:15 thereabouts, but I'm on my way to the gym. I exercise for about an hour and then it's off to work.

A few years ago, I took classes toward a masters in Counseling. There were mornings I either didn't go to bed or I work early to study and write. Now the routine is ingrained in my psyche: rise early, get work done and prepare for the day.

We really do become our parents, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment