Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Thought for The Day - Do, Be



Many years ago, I reflected on the short wave of "success" my life seemed to reflect. Graduation from college, a potential fiancé, income from two jobs and i praised the source of my success, God. It was a moment of worship and inquiry. I thanked God for the blessings in my life and asked the question: "what can I do in response to your blessings?" His reply was simple but carried a great deal of responsibility. He said "accept my call." While I understood, I didn't want the responsibility and expectation. On the other hand, I knew the role of servant was as much a part of my life as the success I desired. The full story of the next few years is reserved for another time. For now, let's just say I heeded the command.

Society puts a great deal of weight on titles. The title doesn't necessarily infer the responsibility. For example the title and role: doctor. There are many people who have attended school, gone into debt, joined a hospital or group and hung out a shingle, but they aren't in healing. I mean, they will administer the prescriptions, make suggestions and make referrals to other professionals, but their focus is on the title and the respect to be gained from it. Consequently, clients, patients are seen, but not touched; their ailments persist because the doctor won't reach within themselves for compassion and a cure, and they rarely 'touch' the patient. Truthfully, a "cure" isn't always found in a pill...

There are people in this world who touch, care for, provide without a title. They connect with others without "networking" or being "social." Their concern is you, me, the next person who needs help. And they do this without regard for their life. We go to professionals, people who have studied because they are knowledgeable; but there are times when knowledge and titles are barriers to compassion. It is better to "do;" it is better to simply "be."

Many experiences and situations have exercised God's "call" on my life; writing this daily blog is one of them. No title or monetary return comes with it, but a desire to "do" and "be"guides my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment