Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Thought for The Day - Topic of Conversation





If you are being talked about - not in the sense of gossip or insults - that might be a good thing. A proverb I keep in mind and I remind myself often: "a good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." In a world where people are known for their fashion sense, great body or musical talents, most of us need a reminder of true value! It isn't found in a single act, but a life lived purposely and considerately; one doesn't receive esteem or honor because you know "facts." A good reputation is gained from kindness and compassion, being someone others expect to hear their concerns and heart's cry.

Being a quiet guy, for the most part, I often wondered how this would play out in my life. When I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror or my reflection in a glass, I see a "brooding face," putting it kindly. I've always had the wrinkled brow, unless I'm smiling. From time to time, I will try to soften my brow, be conscious of the line between my eyebrows. But my default look is "brooding." I'm not known for that; I've only had a few people to tell me to smile or "try to look pleasant." Somehow, in spite of the "mean look," people find me and confide in me. I've made many friends, simply sitting at a desk from one company to another.

People will say what they want to be known for doing or being, but never go about arranging their life to be that person. Or they seek fame and fortune, assuming it will complete their life. Choose a life of service and care for others. It doesn't have to be large scale projects or community outreach. But it does have to be a life in assistance and care for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment