Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thought for The Day - Getting Out the Door

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like getting out of the house on a typical day is like preparing to do battle. Now, I've never been in combat or faced an enemy on a field,  but I've had quite a few fights and that same sense of anticipation  is felt as I prepare to leave the house. For the most part, I don't acknowledge it on a regular basis; I simply rise, journal, draw, paint, shower shave and a myriad number of tasks before hitting the door. Many of the tasks I do without consideration, but it's the thoughts of the gym and the mad scramble getting to work that brings these thoughts to mind.

The prep activities are less of a concern, it's the thinking and planning for the day that gets me amped. I consider the gym time, what exercises I have to do that day, how much time I have and the amount of weight I've done and will do in this workout. Then I consider the rush afterwards, the mad dash to shower, get dressed, fight traffic to the train and then there's "being at work!" I work in a relatively quiet setting, but like any "place of business," there are these attitudes and subtle political games being played out nearly every second of the day. What is said loudly, said by whom, the usual challenge of who will "one up" whom and so on. It never ends. And I consider all these factors before I hit the door. As a matter of fact, I would say at this point in my life, if I didn't anticipate and plan my place in the small daily skirmishes, I would be a victim, rather than a simple participant. Mind you, I'm not out for blood; I came to perform certain tasks and receive my pay, that's it. Positioning and posturing for "higher ranks" has never motivated me.

Not every warrior is out for blood; for many of us the battle we fight is for the lives of our family and our own growth. Consider your needs and place that over what others are fighting friend and foe to gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment