Thursday, April 3, 2014

Thought for The Day - Bringing All The Pieces Together

Linen (the original) 30 x 40 Oil

Linen with a swirl 24 x 30 Oil


It is very much like assembling a bike, a baker's rack, a semi-portable basketball rim or backyard swing set. It is also like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. From the idea in my head, to the last stroke, there are parts that don't quite fit and times when there's no perceivable forward progress. But amazingly, I continue to move forward, ignoring the sense that "this color" doesn't match the overall scheme.

There are days when the closest I get to the canvas is tossing my clothes on the wooden stool I keep near the easel! There are the times, I'm practicing colors on a photograph, kept on my tablet, to get a sense of what's to come. And there are times when the odd shapes and colors come together. Slowly, the image materializes; my vision takes shape.

Painting this image is much the same as many of the other parts of my life; the two factors seem to be true: it takes a long time (seems longer than it should) and I CAN'T GIVE UP!!!

I did a series a couple years ago, entitled "The Turn." I went as far as blogging about it on my website. I didn't realize at the time, I was at the apex of a major shift myself. I only knew what I rendered and wrote, spoke to my murky feelings. Now, I believe I'm at a similar place again. And hopefully it is a "turn" for the better.

Peace be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment