Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thought for The Day - Effective Use of Tools

I bought a coconut the other day, for the first time. I've had countless coconut cakes, pies and such, watched my mom and wife prepare them and ate the remaining crumbs of coconut they had from the can. But I've never tried to crack a coconut myself. A "can of coconut", certainly, but never a coconut. So I did the research ahead of time. My mom said her mother bought them when she was growing up and opened them with a hammer. I had these "worst case scenarios" running through my head of my smashing open a coconut and the "inner parts" scattering all over the place.

So off to YouTube I go, to see what the "experts" said about opening and using a coconut. I had in mind to use the "meat" in my smoothies I make each day. Talk about a healthy way to get nutrition in your body! My personal favorite is a blend of fruits and vegetables and I'm fairly certain with the mix and the other fruits and vegetables I eat throughout the day, I'm getting my "five servings of fruits and vegetables a day!"

First things first, getting the coconut water out of the coconut. Still had "worst case scenarios" going through my head, based on the suggestions: using a hammer and a screwdriver to punch a hole in one of the soft spots. Okay, even if I cleaned a screwdriver with alcohol, I'm not sure I want to take the risk of getting infected because I used a device intended to turn screws. Usually screws aren't found in pristine environments, but dirty, oily 'contaminated' areas. Nope, not for me. I got a corkscrew and punched a couple holes in the coconut and out came the water!

Now on to the main event: getting the meat out of the coconut. I did have to use the hammer, but I tapped firmly around the center of it until I heard a crack. Then, with a few more hard blows, it was open and the semi-sweet taste of coconut was available! I spent a few minutes chopping the coconut into smaller pieces with a meat cleaver. My wife warned me over and over about holding down the coconut while bringing the cleaver down; old habits die hard, but no fingers lost! The next step was removing the meat with a paring knife. I also used the knife to cut the coconut into bite size chunks for the smoothie.

So from removing the juice to whittling down the coconut and putting it in my smoothie, I used five tools for a meal. There are far more tools available to use in a given day. Consider each part of your day, from rising to bed and you will be amazed at the amount of tools we use. But it's the practice of using them that makes the tools - and us - effective!

No comments:

Post a Comment