Monday, June 20, 2011

You are Here!

We are often directed to set goals, track our progress, and make mid-course adjustments where appropriate. But I'm finding out, the goals I've set, though higher than my past or current place, sometimes they seem like they're out of reach or invisible. But then, I'm reminded of the quote from Henry David Thoreau:
  I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings…If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.


Good. Great! Now the notion is thoroughly planted in our head, what about this very minute? When one's dreams and goals reside in a higher place, the path can, at times, become obscure. Please understand, I don't have this confusion, anxiety, panic and apathy demon chained and subdued, yet. All too often, my thoughts are primarily focused on "THE FUTURE" or the "task list" generated by others.

You ever find yourself forgetting what or why you went in a room? You enter the room, mindful of a million things beside the reason you got out of the chair? Well, this has been a constant problem since I was a small child. Mom would send me in a room to get, for example, a spool of black thread. In the seconds between her telling me and walking into the room, the 'mission' would be gone. I would have to go back and ask "what was I supposed to get?" Of course she called me an old man and strangely, I've simply grown into the character.

So it's important to take a few minutes, hours, days, even, to stop and determine "where am I at this moment?" I mean, honestly, while we want to know where we are, relative to our goal, we also want to examine - and rather critically - is this the path and goal for me, are there alternatives, what lead me to the very place I'm at, at this moment? We also want to examine the multiple paths this very place could lead us, and will those 'roads' ultimately lead to the "castle in the sky."

We've all heard the analogy of the lumberjack's attempt to cut down a tree with a dull axe. Somehow, he's convinced if he continues as he is, and chops harder, the tree will eventually fall. But some wiser comes along, examines his situation and suggests "why not stop and sharpen your axe?" Whether "someone" comes along or not, it never hurts to stop and determine what's going on at that very moment; what nagging thoughts and emotions are you ignoring, in your determination to reach your goal? Examine where you are, now, before you find you've reached "a goal," but not the one you intended.

9 comments:

  1. Eddie,

    First, I love the painting. It is beautiful...and rightly is represented by your blog! I see the path...and love the green in the trees.

    Second, what a great post. It really gets me thinking and meditating on where I am right now...and where I ultimately want to be (spiritually, physically, financially, emotionally, creatively, etc.)... I was just thinking this morning about how I don't have to be busy always just to be busy...that's not always productive. Sometimes it's good to just sit for awhile... Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, evocative painting, and important words.
    This is especially relevant to me right now. I'm approaching the middle of the room I've been sent into, and have been saying to myself, "Wait. What was I doing? Where am I supposed to be going?".
    Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mary, for comments about both! Amazing how inspiration comes; this one came while driving a familiar road to work - of all paths to find inspiration.:)

    I spend a great deal of time in quiet, have done that most of my life. I guess that's why there's so much that comes to the surface. Probably would be more if I pushed off the static of adult responsibility, or at least, put it in its proper place. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brad! Imagine that confusion from childhood on? And that being said, it is a matter of asking both analytically and reflectively: "how did I get here?" Have you ever noticed the beauty of sunlight shining through the dust particles we've kicked up with a broom? While we don't 'like' dust, the combination of something we're trying to get rid of as well as something as beautiful as sunlight creates amazement. I think God works in our humanity and his divine 'dazzles' us from time to time - if we allow him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Eddie I love that Thoreau quote. It's putting in the foundation that takes much blood, sweat and tears though. I'm doing that now and must admit that it's WORK! I find I constantly need motivation and discipline, because it's easy to get distracted when the work is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deby, that is definitely the problem. You ever sweat so much that you couldn't see? Well, if that ever happens, then you know, it's time to take a break and a cold drink of water!:) Sometimes we work so hard on our goals that we forget to stop and assess where we are and what's going on. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eddie, it's funny you mention motes of dust in light.
    I did a paper in high school about my childhood memories of Saturday mornings, and one particular, golden moment when I realized that "motes of dust dancing in the light shine differently on Saturday mornings".
    As a matter of fact, the title of my blog was almost "Saturday Morning Motes", but I thought that might be too esoteric...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sat in church this evening reflecting on your comment, Brad. The image that came to mind was the energy within us and how, through our senses, ordinary, insignificant moments become encounters with the Divine. Where is your blog, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eddie, here's the address of my primary blog, Bradley's Brain. It's been a while since I posted with any regularity, but it's something I've been wanting to get back into.
    http://www.bradleys-brain.blogspot.com/

    If you click on the link in my sidebar, it'll take you to Second Star to the Right, which started out as my blog about writing, but which I've re-purposed as my general, "creative" blog.
    http://www.brad-secondstar.blogspot.com/

    Check it out; I loves me some new visitors!

    ReplyDelete