Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm Listening...

I'm Listening, Oils, 24 x 40
There's a great deal of noise in our world and that includes the space between our ears. All of this input, this clatter, this static is perfect when you want to run from yourself. And when the energy from past hurts and today's fears scream at you, what better place to hide than in plain sight?

But that's not the place to hide; we all know there isn't much comfort and compassion, let alone reason, in this world. "I'm listening..." quietly, patiently. Sitting, in the noise, in the hustle and bustle, waiting for knowledge and wisdom, healing and love. "I'm listening," though my own heart frantically cries out for relief. "I'm listening," past the roar of my "lack" and my "wants." "I'm listening because beyond all of this, there is a response that defies language; because beyond the easy way out, there is hope defying logic.

I'm practicing patience; not the pain-full type where the next second without relief is agony. No, this patience says "it's coming, it's coming; no, it is here." A relaxed declaration from the soul of a man who trusts God to put the parts together, to bring relief and most importantly, to put this life in purposeful existence.

Listen. Quiet your heart. Allow the message(s) from the well of your soul to bring your life into perspective. Then await further instructions.

10 comments:

  1. Love it Ed....brilliant man! Sheer Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of the time people do not receive the answer due to the constant inquiry...people tend to pray and not to listen to God...if we are in a conversation with God...then why don't we allow him to speak? Great stuff man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie, this speaks right to the core of my heart.
    Yes, it's in quiet that we find the 'still small voice' that soothes our fears and speaks to our true potential and identity. I believe that we were all created with calling. This calling comes clear when we wait and still our hearts to listen to our Creator's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeandre, glad to see you! Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I've prayed in that fashion, many times. Patience is knowing He hears you and waiting for him to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, brother. Patience takes practice, so we (myself included) should take heart and rest in the fact that we are a work in progress. His work.

    There's pressure, always pressure to perform, but by man's standards, not God's. Just like clay being firmly, but gently molded and water gently, yet consistently turning a jagged rock into a smooth stone over a thousand years. That's what His transforming love can do! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deby, as I read your post I immediately thought of your website, cometothequiet.com. I smiled at the idea that we had this perspective in common. Having accepted my calling, I'm painting and drawing, but realize there's more to it than first imagined. So quietly, patiently and reverently I move and listen. Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason, as I read your post I immediately had an image of an old man or woman, who doesn't move slowly because they're old, but they move slowly because urgency doesn't require haste. They realize moving slowly toward a solution, they are given their heart and mind time to prepare to do their part. Yes, we wait for His hand to shape and re-shape us. Our lives, our careers and our world is in His hands. Thanks for responding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eddie...Thanks for sharing and reminding us of the importance of being still and listening with patience!

    ReplyDelete