Saturday, November 12, 2011

Declarative Statement

Shaken Up!

It’s important to make your statement.

I know I’m not alone when I say this, but more often than not, I wonder what difference my contribution to the world makes. Do I have an impact? Will the lack of response from those who see my words and images prevent me? 

And when I sit to draw or paint or write, no visible or audible audience is near, and yet I express myself, regardless. And yet, there is an unseen audience that hears, sees, and inspires what is said and rendered. Who is my audience? I’ve asked that question, trying to determine who to ‘target’ for the work. Well, if I take Jesus at his word, then this is my audience: “But I, when I’m lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.” (John 12:32)

This isn’t a declaration of the Christian message in plain text. No, this is declaration of the supremacy of God as the creator of all things. I don’t deny my faith in Christ or his deity. I don’t deny that I believe he upholds, holds together, all things by the word of His power.  And yet, though he does this, I know he is intimately involved in my life. He brought me back to my calling, the expression of creativity. He has expanded that expression with words as well.

Sometimes I wonder if others understand; concerned with clarity I do a great deal of editing and withholding. I think I’m somehow ‘responsible’ for YOUR understanding. Then I remember years of underground work done in my life. When I was busy raising children, earning money, and working in ministry, and felt completely helpless, God was doing work that others could not see. While I was depressed to the point of suicide because I didn’t feel like I was being heard or was making a difference in the world, God continued to listen as well as express his love for me. I will continue to express myself in the unique way God has gifted me. Someone, somewhere and somewhen, is listening. They are listening, they are watching and the message is sinking so deep in their soul that the only way they can respond is by the grace of God as he works secretly, underneath the surface of their conscious. His work is never in vain!

2 comments:

  1. You brought me to tears. You have just expressed the way I am feeling. Yesterday afternoon I had my first ART SHOWING and the only people that came were my mom and my daughter. I would like to make a difference in other people's lives and a living for my family. I love to paint and believe the LORD has blessed me with that gift. I asked the LORD to send me words of encouragement and here they are right here in your blog! Thank you and GOD bless you!
    Hope you don't mind if I plug your blog address in my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jureda, I'm so glad that the bog found a resting place in your heart. I'm also glad that, like me you realize the importance of continuing to create work that is pleasing to your soul. Yes, we want people to express an appreciation for our work and it feels good, but doing the work is pleasing for us. And keeping at it, we increasingly submit to the will of the Father! God 's richest blessings on you!

    ReplyDelete